University Funding Sources

Funding for the First Five Years of Study

We offer admission to approximately forty applicants to the Department of History each year, and all of these offers include a University grant. Academic record and scholarly promise are used as criteria for making admission offers, but need or United States citizenship are not factors. Currently these offers include tuition and health insurance plus a $23,000 stipend for five years. In the third through fifth year of these fellowships, a portion of the stipend award comprises teaching service for the College. Around twenty to twenty-five students matriculate each year.

Work-Study Program

The federally funded work-study program for United States citizens and permanent residents assist students with money that does not have to be repaid. Program eligibility is determined by various criteria established by the government and overseen by the responsible University officials, all whom are outside the Department of History. In general practice, an eligible student is from a family of modest means, or is “independent,” which is defined as not being claimed as an exemption on their parents’ federal income tax return. Students who do not receive full funding from the University or are beyond their years of funding are strongly encouraged to apply for work study.

Research assistantships in the Department of History are currently offered first to work-study eligible students.

Students and prospective students who are interested in participating in the work-study program must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and  University Application for Student Loans and Federal Work-Study. These forms are required in early spring term. (There is a separate application if you are interested in working over the summer.) Funds are rarely available for students who miss the Spring application deadline.

Students can apply for work-study without applying for federal student loans. The amount the student may earn will then be determined by correlating the University work-study application with information from the FAFSA. The Student Loan Administration informs students whether they are qualified and a work study form will be available on the student's cMore account.

Early in Summer and Autumn Quater, Cyndee Breshock, the faculty administrator in the Department of History will send an email to all current history students requesting applications for work study. She will match students and faculty as well as possible based on language and research interest.

Resident Heads for University Residence Halls & Commons

The University has ten Collegiate residence halls, which are divided into thirty-seven houses. Houses are staffed by resident heads, who are generally advanced graduate students. The RHs live in their house, guide undergraduate students through the ups and downs of college life, manage house meetings councils, and study breaks, as well as organize intramural sports and other house events. RHs receive a free private apartment (for 12 months), board (for 9 months), student health insurance (for 12 months), and a modest salary. New openings are generally announced in January.

Funding for Foreign Students

We’re very pleased that nearly one quarter of our students come to study history at Chicago from over twenty different nations. To encourage you to select Chicago, we consider foreign students for both the tuition plus $19,000 stipend fellowship, as well as for tuition scholarships. Yet, as with domestic students, we cannot always extend fellowships to all our prospective students from abroad. In these situations foreign students are eligible to apply for many other internal and external funding opportunities including:

International House Fellowship Program
Foreign students accepted for graduate study and who decide to live at the University’s International House may qualify for residential fellowships to help defray the cost of housing. The selection of fellows is based on need, merit, and leadership.

Other University Funding Sources

  • Center for East Asian Studies: Offers grants for language study, travel, and dissertation research; area center for the Foreign Language Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.
  • Center for Gender Studies: Research grants for archival research; photocopying of research material, purchase of equipment, and similar research expenses; year-long dissertation fellowships.
  • Center for Latin American Studies: Sponsors the Foreign Language Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships in Portuguese and Native American languages and summer field research grants.
  • Center for the Study of Race, Politics, and Culture: Sponsors research and travel grants for the study of race and ethnicity.
  • Doolittle Fellowship: An award of up to $500 for students in all divisions for academic year or summer conference attendance and for travel within or outside of the United States to facilitate dissertation research. Interested students should contact the Office of Graduate Affairs (702-0871, Administration 225).
  • Foreign Language & Area Studies (FLAS-Title VI): For students concentrating in modern foreign language and international or area studies. There are separate fellowships for the academic year (nine months for study at Chicago only) and for summer (at Chicago or other U.S. or international institution). FLAS fellowships are contingent upon funding from the U.S. Department of Education. The nine-month award includes tuition, clinic and student activities fees, and a stipend. The summer award includes tuition and may cover some travel expenses. Interested students should contact the appropriate area center (East Asian, East Europe, Latin America, Middle East, or South Asia), Dean of Students Patrick Hall (702-8414, Foster 107), or the Office of Graduate Affairs (702-0871, Administration 225). Forms can be downloaded at the UChicagoGRAD Office. The deadline for both summer and nine-month fellowships is usually mid-May.
  • France Chicago Center: Fellowships for language study in France, research travel grants, and scholarly exchange fellowships. Forms can be downloaded at the Center’s web site. Interested students should contact the Center (702-3662, Harper Memorial West Tower 401).
  • Georges Lurcy Charitable Trust: One fellowship for doctoral dissertation research in France. A nomination is made after interviews by a campus selection committee. A letter should be added to your IIE-Fulbright application indicating that you wish to be considered for this fellowship. Interested students should contact the Office of International Affairs (702-7752, International House, room 291).
  • Nicholson Center for British Studies: Offers short and long-term fellowships for students needing to research in archives in the British Isles, regardless of field of study.